/ Published May 24, 2006
ANDREWS AIR FORCE BASE, Md. -- History came full circle as the 459th's first ever aircraft lined up nose-to-nose with the unit's current aircraft.
The 459th Air Refueling Wing's KC-135 Stratotanker, an Air Force Reserve Command refueling aircraft, met its mission predecessor, the B-24 Liberator, a World War II bomber aircraft that flew in May 17 for the Joint Service Open House at Andrews Air Force Base for this year's Armed Forces Day weekend.
This historic event took place on the 459th ARW flightline.
The B-24 aircraft was the 459th's first flying mission in the wing's heritage, flown from 1943 to 1945. The B-24 was employed in operations in every combat theater in World War II.
Members of the original 459th Bombardment Group and the 756th Squadron Association attended the event. The 459th ARW Commander, Col. Stayce D. Harris, also attended and greeted the B-24 aircraft and its crew.
The 459th ARW has adopted the name "Liberator" to pay tribute to its founding unit who once carried the name.