Colonel Randall J. Sauer is the vice commander of the 459th Air Refueling Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Md. He assists the wing commander in ensuring the training and readiness of more than 1,300 assigned wing personnel in 20 units employing eight KC-135R Stratotanker aircraft. The 459th supports Air Mobility Command's worldwide air refueling mission, meeting the air refueling needs of all U.S. Air Force, Navy, Marine and selected allied nations' aircraft.
Colonel Sauer graduated and received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1991 with a Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Engineering. He graduated from Undergraduate Pilot Training in 1992 at Columbus Air Force Base, Miss. He served on active duty at Robins AFB, Ga., and Grand Forks AFB, N.D. He was a member of the 931st Air Refueling Group at McConnell AFB, Kan., from 2001 to 2012 where he served as flight commander, assistant director of operation, and deputy chief of standardization and evaluation. Prior to his current assignment, he was commander of the 465th Air Refueling Squadron and then deputy commander of the 507th Operations Group, Tinker AFB, Okla. During his career, he has flown KC-135R/T aircraft for the Air Force and Air Force Reserve. He is a command pilot with more than 5,500 flying hours and has flown 117 combat missions and 116 combat support missions in support of Operations Inherent Resolve, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn, Northern Watch, Southern Watch, Provide Comfort and Joint Endeavor.
1991 Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1994 Introduction to Acquisition Management – SYS 100, Defense Acquisition University, Robins AFB, Ga.
1994 ACQ 101 AFIT Fundamentals of Systems Acquisition Management, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
1994 Certified Acquisition Professional Level 1, Robins AFB, Ga.
1995 SYS 201 Intermediate Systems Planning, Research, Development and Engineering, Defense Acquisition University, Robins AFB, Ga.
1997 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1998 Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1999 AMC Combat Aircrew Tactics Course, Air Mobility Warfare Center, Fort Dix, N.J.
2002 ACC Flight Safety Program Management Course, Dyess AFB, Texas
2003 Advanced Instrument School, Air Force Flight Standards Agency, Randolph AFB, Texas
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2010 Basic Aircraft Accident Investigation, Transportation Safety Institute, Oklahoma City, Okla.
2011 Air War College, by correspondence
2012 Reserve Squadron Commander Course, Robins AFB, Ga.
2016 Reserve Wing Commanders Course, Robins AFB, Ga.
1. May 1991 – October 1992, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. October 1992 – June 1995, Aeronautical Engineer, C-141 System Program Office, Warner Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins AFB, Ga.
3. June 1995 – November 1998, Aircraft Commander, KC-135R, 99th Air Refueling Squadron, Robins AFB, Ga.
4. November 1998 – June 1999, Instructor Pilot, KC-135R/T, 905th Air Refueling Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
5. June 1999 – November 2000, Chief Wing Tactics, IP KC-135R/T, 319th Air Refueling Wing, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
6. November 2000 – January 2005, Assistant Flight Commander, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
7. January 2005 – August 2006, Evaluator Pilot KC-135R/T, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
8. August 2006 – March 2008, Flight Commander, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
9. March 2008 – July 2010, Assistant Operations Officer, 18th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
10. July 2010 – February 2012, Deputy Chief Standardization and Evaluation, 931st Air Refueling Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
11. February 2012 – August 2015, Commander, 465th Air Refueling Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
12 August 2015 – June 2016, Deputy Commander 507th Operations Group, Tinker AFB, Okla.
13 July 2016 – Present, Vice Wing commander, 459th Air Refueling Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: more than 5,500
Aircraft Flown: T-37B, T-38A, T-1A, KC-135R, KC-135T and DC-9
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
AF Outstanding Unit Award with valor device and six oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with six oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal with one device
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one device
Iraq Campaign Medal with two devices
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border and two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Longevity Service with five oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with one 'M' device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (pistol)
Air Force Training Ribbon
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
International Society of Air Safety Investigators full member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, May 29, 1991
First Lieutenant, May 29, 1993
Captain, May 29, 1995
Major, October 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel, August 14, 2008
Colonel, June 2, 2016
(Current as of September 2016)