Colonel Janette L. Thode is vice commander of the 459th Air Refueling Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Md. In this role, she is responsible for the training and readiness of more than 1300 assigned wing personnel in 20 units employing eight KC-135R Stratotanker aircraft. The 459th Air Refueling Wing supports Air Mobility Command’s worldwide air refueling mission meeting the air refueling needs of the Joint Force and select allied nations. In addition, members of the 459th Air Refueling Wing provide a broad cross-section of agile combat support and aeromedical evacuation capabilities to combatant commanders in times of peace, war and national emergency, both within the United States and around the globe.
Colonel Thode was commissioned in 1995 as a ROTC distinguished graduate from University of Miami, Florida. After Undergraduate Navigator Training at Randolph AFB, Texas she received her navigator wings at Pensacola Naval Air Station, Florida in 1996. Following training as a B-1 weapons systems officer at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, she served in a variety of positions over her active duty career including B-1 instructor weapon systems officer, B-1 evaluator WSO, wing electronic warfare officer and B-1 weapons and tactics flight commander. She transferred to the Air Force Reserve Command in December 2005 where she served as squadron operations officer, wing inspector general, and squadron commander, deputy group commander, and acting group commander. She is a senior navigator with over 1,700 B-1 hours and multiple deployments in support of Operations Allied Force, Iraqi Freedom, and Enduring Freedom.
Prior to her current assignment, she was the Acting Chief of Strategic Assessments Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
1995 Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, University of Miami, Miami, Florida
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama.
2002 USAF Weapons School, B-1 Weapons Instructor Course, Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
2008 Air Command and Staff College (Distance Learning)
2015 Masters of Arts in Management and Leadership, Liberty University, Lynchburg, Virginia
2016 Air War College (Distance Learning)
2017 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2019 Leading Strategically, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2019 Joint Combined Warfare School – Hybrid, Norfolk, Virginia
1. June1995 - April 1996 - Student, Navigator Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
2. April 1996 - April 1997 - Student, Navigator Training, NAS Pensacola, Florida
3. April 1997 - November 1997- Student, B-1 FTU, 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
4. November 1997 - November 1998 - Chief, Mission Planning, 77th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
5. November 1998 - January 2000 - Standardization and Evaluation Liaison Officer, 77th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
6. January 2000 - September 2000 - Wing Standardization and Evaluation Liaison Officer, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
7. September 2000 - November 2000 - Assistant Chief, Standardization Evaluation, 77th Bomb Squadron Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
8. November 2000 to June 2002 - Wing Electronic Warfare Officer, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
9. June 2002 - November 2002 - Assistant Flight Commander, Weapons and Tactics, 37th Bomb Squadron Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
10. November 2002 - September 2003 - Flight Commander, Weapons and Tactics, Weapons and Tactics, 37th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
11. September 2003 - December 2005 - Flight Commander, B-1 Information Systems, 337th Test and Evaluation Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
12. December 2005 - September 2006 - Executive Officer (TR), 96th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
13. September 2006 - June 2007- Chief Operations Group Tactics (TR), 916th Operations Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina
14. June 2007 - April 2010 - Assistant Director of Operations (TR), 916th Operations Support Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina
15. April 2010 - February 2011 - Operations Officer (TR), 916th Operations Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina
16. February 2011 - November 2013 - Wing Inspector General (TR), 916th Air Refueling Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina
17. December 2013 - July 2015 - Inspector General (TR), 340th Flying Training Group, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
18. July 2015 - October 2017 - Commander (TR), 433rd Training Squadron, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
19. October 2017 – January 2019 - Deputy Commander (TR), 340th Flying Training Group, JBSA-Randolph, Texas
20. January 2019 – July 2019 – Deputy Chief of Strategic Assessments Division (IMA), Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
21. July 2019 - September 2020 – Acting Chief of Strategic Assessments Division (Long MPA tour), Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
22. May 2020 – Present – Vice Wing Commander, 459th Air Refueling Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland.
Rating: Senior navigator
Flight Hours: More than 1,700
Aircraft flown: B-1, T-43
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with one silver and one bronze oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Longevity Service Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Training Ribbon
2012 Lieutenant General John P. Flynn Award, Best Inspector General Complaints Resolution Program, AFRC
2015 Reserve Officer Association Outstanding Non-Flying Unit Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1995
First Lieutenant May 31, 1997
Captain May 31, 1999
Major October 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel August 15, 2012
Colonel September 27, 2017
(Current as of August 2020)