Chief Master Sergeant Israel Nuñez is the Command Chief Master Sergeant of the 459th Air Refueling Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. He is the primary advisor to the commander and staff on matters related to the morale, welfare, discipline, professional development, and utilization of nearly 1,300 enlisted personnel. Chief Nuñez serves as the commander’s representative on councils, boards, and selected military and local civilian community events. He functions as the liaison and spokesperson between the enlisted force and the commander.
Chief Nuñez, entered the Air Force in 2000 and has extensive background in executing and leading air transportation operations. A veteran of several deployments, Chief Nuñez has deployed to various locations in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM, INHERENT RESOLVE, and FREEDOM’S SENTINEL. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the Squadron Superintendent of the 69th Aerial Port Squadron, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland.
Additionally, Chief Nuñez serves as a Chief Orientation Course instructor for Air Force Reserve Command’s Professional Development Center. In this capacity, he participates in the senior leadership development of dozens of newly selected Reserve Chief Master Sergeants.
2005 Airman Leadership School, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
2008 Associate in Applied Science, Air Transportation, Community College of the Air Force
2008 Associate in Applied Science, Education and Training, Community College of the Air Force
2010 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force
2014 Senior Non-commissioned Officer Leadership Course (SNCOLC), Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
2015 SNCOLC Facilitator Selection Course, Warner Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
2015 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Knowledge Online
2016 Chief Orientation Course, Warner Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
2017 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
2018 International NCO Leadership Development Course (INLEAD), March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
2019 Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2020 Bachelor of Science, Interdisciplinary Studies, Liberty University, Lynchburg, Va.
2021 Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation Course, AF Judge Advocate General’s School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2021 Middle East – South Asia Domestic Divisions/Regional Conflicts, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
1. November 2000 – November 2002, Cargo Processing Specialist, 60th Aerial Port Squadron, Travis AFB,Calif.
2. December 2002 – October 2003, Passenger Service Specialist, 60th Aerial Port Squadron, Travis AFB,Calif.
3. November 2003 – March 2006, Passenger Terminal Shift Supervisor, 60th Aerial Port Squadron, TravisAFB, Calif.
4. March 2006 – October 2009, Maintenance Training Manager, 349th Maintenance Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
5. November 2009 – January 2012, Cargo Operations Section Chief, 55th Aerial Port Squadron, Travis AFB,Calif.
6. February 2012 – December 2013, Aircraft Load Planning Services Section Chief, 55th Aerial Port Squadron,Travis AFB, Calif.
7. January 2014 – January 2016, Aerial Port Operations Superintendent, 55th Aerial Port Squadron, TravisAFB, Calif.
8. February 2016 – December 2016, Programs and Quality Assurance Flight Superintendent, 55th Aerial PortSquadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
9. January 2017 – September 2017, Chief of Plans and Compliance, 86h Aerial Port Squadron, Joint BaseLewis-McChord, Wa.
10. October 2017 – Jan 2021, Squadron Superintendent, 69h Aerial Port Squadron, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
11. January 2021 - Present, Command Chief, 459th Air Refueling Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant – March 1, 2017
(Current as of October 2021)